Kevin Hart Makes History In Australia After Oscars Controversy

Andie Manahan

December 11, 2018

Photo: Getty Images

 

It looks like the Kevin Hart has found something else to be thankful for amidst all the Oscars controversy. The 39-year-old comedian just made history in Australia – becoming the highest-grossing comedian in terms of ticket sales.

Kevin, who is on the road for his Irresponsible Tour, received lots of love from thousands of fans who turned up to catch him onstage.

 

And he later shared a video from his sold-out show in Sydney, where he was “blown away” by the love of the 34,000 fans who came to watch him.

“This is what happiness looks like,” he said in the video, which appears to have been taken onstage during his show. “Thank you for listening. Thank you for laughing. Thank you for supporting me.”

“All I can say is WOOOOOOOOW…..Thank you so much Sydney Australia….Making the world laugh is forever a priority. Blessed to be able to bring laughter on a international level & do what I love!!!!” he wrote in the caption.

And he later gave a shout out to all his fans after learning he has just made history in Australia.

“It has been recorded that I am the all-time highest grossing comedian to ever come to Australia – with ticket sales,” he said. “It’s because of you – my fans. I love you. I love you. I love you. I’m on cloud nine. Thank you so much. SO MUCH, Australia.”

 

But fans aren’t the only ones showing him love. Stars have also shown support for the comedian.

Last week, Kevin dropped the news that he would be hosting the 91st Oscar Awards in February.

When Chris Rock, who hosted the 88th Academy Awards, first learned that Kevin had been tapped for the job, he congratulated him and gave him props, saying, “They got the best person for the job.”

He also joked about losing “another job to Kevin Hart,” referencing a joke he made during his opening monologue hosting the Oscars.

But, just a few hours after the announcement, some of the Jumanji: Welcome To The Jungle actor’s controversial old tweets resurfaced. And following the backlash from those old tweets, Kevin ultimately announced that he would step down from his dream hosting gig on Twitter, writing:

He also issued an apology, despite earlier pronouncements refusing to do so, saying he has already addressed those tweets in the past.

“I’m sorry that I hurt people.. I am evolving and want to continue to do so. My goal is to bring people together not tear us apart.  Much love & appreciation to the Academy. I hope we can meet again.”

Over the weekend, Saturday Night Live’s Michael Che tackled the recent controversy on Kevin’s short-lived gig as Oscars host during the show’s “Weekend Update” segment.

“Well, that was short,” Michael joked as Kevin’s photo came up onscreen.

“Kevin Hart had to step down as host of the upcoming Academy Awards because of homophobic tweets from 2011,” Michael announced.

“But didn’t the Academy nominate Mel Gibson for an award just last year?” he continued, referring to the actor/director’s Best Director nomination for Hacksaw Ridge in 2017 despite controversial racist statements he made a few years ago.

“Also, if Kevin Hart isn’t clean enough to host the Oscars then no black comic is. The only black comic I know that’s cleaner than Kevin Hart is booked for the next 3-10 years,” Michael added, as a picture of Bill Cosby was shown.

GLAAD President and CEO Sarah Ellis has also weighed in on Kevin’s departure from the Oscars hosting gig.

“Kevin Hart shouldn’t have stepped down; he should have stepped up,” she said in a statement to The Wrap. “Hart’s apology to LGBTQ people is an important step forward, but he missed a real opportunity to use his platform and the Oscars stage to build unity and awareness.”

Last Friday (December 7), a source close to Kevin told Entertainment Tonight that the comedian feels “disappointed” and “hurt” that he won’t be hosting the Oscars but he will move forward from this and ultimately be “good.”